2019 Call for Projects is Open - Applications due by 5 P.M. on Friday, April 26, 2019
The San Francisco County Transportation Authority (Transportation Authority) is pleased to announce a call for projects for an estimated $3.55 million in Proposition AA (Prop AA) vehicle registration fee revenues. Prop AA revenues come from a $10 fee on motor vehicles registered in San Francisco. Revenues are used to fund transportation improvements in three programmatic categories: Street Repair and Reconstruction, Pedestrian Safety, and Transit Reliability & Mobility Improvements.
For this call for projects, the estimated amount of funds available in each category is detailed in the table below. The funds are available for projects ready to commence the design and/or construction phase in Fiscal Years 2019/20 - 2021/22.
Prop AA Funds Available by Category (Fiscal Years 2019/20-2021/22)
|Street Repair and Reconstruction||$ 3,007,800|
|Pedestrian Safety||$ 249,930|
|Transit Reliability and Mobility Improvements||$ 293,578|
|Total Funds Available||$ 3,551,308|
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR FUNDS?
Only public agencies are eligible to apply for Prop AA funds. Public agencies may include, but are not limited to, federal, state, and local agencies and transit operators. The project sponsor is the agency that will administer the project.
WHAT TYPES OF PROJECTS ARE ELIGIBLE?
Prop AA is intended to fund small, high-impact projects that provide tangible benefits to the public in the short-term and fall into one of the following three programmatic categories: Street Repair and Reconstruction; Pedestrian Safety; and Transit Reliability and Mobility Improvements. The Prop AA Expenditure Plan establishes that revenues can only be used to fund design (not planning or environmental studies) and construction (including procurement).
HOW MUCH MONEY IS AVAILABLE?
This call will program approximately $3,551,308 in Prop AA funds, available in Fiscal Years 2019/20-2021/22.
There is no minimum grant amount nor is there a maximum grant amount beyond that which fits within the funds available. Though no local match is required, the adopted Prop AA Strategic Plan policies specify that priority shall be given to projects that can demonstrate leveraging of Prop AA funds.
HOW WILL PROJECTS BE SELECTED?
Projects are required to meet all screening criteria in order to be considered for Prop AA funding. The screening criteria are focused on meeting the eligibility requirements for Prop AA funds and include the following factors:
- Project sponsor is an eligible public agency per the Prop AA Expenditure Plan guidelines.
- Project is eligible for funding from one or more of Prop AA’s three programmatic categories.
- Project is seeking Prop AA funds for design or construction (including procurement) phases only.
- Project is consistent with the regional transportation plan.
- Project is consistent with agency adopted plans, existing and planned land uses, adopted standards for urban design and the provision of pedestrian amenities, and planned growth in transit friendly housing, employment, and services.
Projects that meet all of the Prop AA screening criteria will then be prioritized for Prop AA funding based on, but not limited to, the general and programmatic category prioritization criteria. In general, the more criteria that a project satisfies and the better it meets them, the higher the project will be ranked.
- March 25, 2019: Transportation Authority Releases Prop AA Call for Projects
- April 4, 2019: Pre-Application Workshop, 11 a.m. at Transportation Authority offices 1455 Market St, 22nd Floor
- April 26, 2019 by 5 p.m.: Prop AA Applications Due to the Transportation Authority
- May 16, 2019: Technical Working Group - Draft staff recommendations
- May 22, 2019: Citizens Advisory Committee Meeting – ACTION
- June 11, 2019: Transportation Authority Board Meeting – PRELIMINARY ACTION
- June 25, 2019: Transportation Authority Board Meeting – FINAL ACTION
Meeting dates and times are subject to change. Please check the Transportation Authority’s website (www.sfcta.org/meetings-agendas-and-events) for the most up-to-date schedule.
Application Guidance AND Materials
Applications are due by 5 P.M. on Friday, April 26, 2019. Please submit applications to PROPAA@sfcta.org.
- Prop AA Call for Projects Guidance (Memo with Attachments)
- Prop AA Vehicle Registration Fee – Summary
- Prop AA Strategic Plan Policies (Adopted 10.25.16)
- Prop AA Strategic Plan Screening and Prioritization Criteria (Revised 03.19.19)
- Prop AA Project Information Form (application) (Excel)
- Communities of Concern map